FMN DITA .. refers to the DITA support that is provided by default in FM9 and FM8.
DITA-FMx .. is a plugin that provides extended DITA authoring support for FM9, FM8, FM7.2 and FM7.1. More info...
Submitted by: Scott Prentice (2009-07-05)
||Installation, DITA-FMx 0.0, DITA-FMx 1.0, DITA-FMx 1.1, FM 7.1, FM 7.2, FM 8.0, FM 9.0
||How do I install DITA-FMx on Vista?
||I ran the installer just fine, but I can't edit the maker.ini or install the structure applications.
||Vista has very stringent permission requirements for editing files in non-user areas of the file system. Until DITA-FMx is updated to properly support Vista, you'll need to jump through a few hoops, to get things set up and working properly.
First, you must be an Administrator (or an Administrator will need to modify these things so that you can work with DITA-FMx and FrameMaker).
After installation, the first thing that you need to do is to modify the maker.ini file to disable the default DITA support. To edit the maker.ini file ..
1) In the Start menu, right-click the Notepad application and select "Run as Administrator"
2) Choose File > Open then locate the maker.ini file.
3) Comment out the default DITA clients (as instructed in the documentation), and save the file.
Extract the structure application files ..
1) In the FrameMaker\DITA-FMx folder, right click the DITA-FMx-1.1_apps.zip file, then choose Extract All.
2) In the Extract Compressed Folders window, enter the path to the structure directory .. "FrameMaker\Structure\xml" (actual path will vary), and choose Extract.
When you run FrameMaker, it must be run "as administrator." To do this you can right click the application icon and select "Run as Administrator" (but you must remember to do this every time you run Frame). OR, you can modify the application icon to do this for you (recommended) ..
1) Right-click the application icon and select Properties.
2) On the Compatibility tab, select "Run this program as an administrator"
3) Choose OK.
Now, you can run FrameMaker and set up the structure applications (you've already extracted them to the proper location) ..
1) Run FrameMaker
2) Select StructureTools > Edit Application Definitions (this opens the "structapps.fm" file in your "USER\AppData" area not the one in the FrameMaker program files area)
3) With the Structure View open, place your insertion point just after the "Version" element
4) Choose File > Import > File .. then locate and select the "structapp_stub" file in the DITA-FMx Book application directory (FrameMaker\Structure\xml\DITA-FMx_1.1\Book).
5) In the Import Text Flow by Reference dialog, accept the defaults and select Import.
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the Map and Topic applications.
7) Save the structapps file then choose StructureTOols > Read Application Definitions
8) In the DITA Options dialog (DITA-FMx > DITA Options), select the Topic, Map, and Book applications (use the appropriate DITA-FMx applications for each)
9) Exit and restart FrameMaker.
That *should* be all that's needed!