FMN DITA .. refers to the DITA support that is provided by default in FM9 and FM8.
DITA-FMx .. is a plugin that provides extended DITA authoring support for FM9, FM8, FM7.2 and FM7.1. More info...
Submitted by: Scott Prentice (2010-02-04)
||Authoring, Installation, FM8 DITA, FM9 DITA, DITA-FMx 0.0, DITA-FMx 1.0, DITA-FMx 1.1, FM 7.1, FM 7.2, FM 8.0, FM 9.0
||How to modify the structure applications for non-English versions of FrameMaker
||If you're working in a non-English version of FrameMaker, you'll need to modify the structure applications to be able to use them.
This solution was provided by Susanne Muris, and was specifically written for DITA-FMx 1.1, but should apply to default FM-DITA as well.
||To localize the application, make the following changes in the topic template, map template, bookmap template and the component templates:
- Adjust the page layouts of the master pages, for example from US Letter to A4.
- Adjust the language of paragraph and character styles, unless they have language "None". The fastest way to do this is to save the templates as MIF and to replace the language string in a text editor. For example, from "USEnglish" to "NewGerman". Then convert back to FM.
- Check the autonumbering format of paragraph and character styles and adjust the ones that contain text.
- Translate text in cross reference formats.
- Translate text in the "StepsBegin" and "StepsBeginNested" frames on the reference pages.
If these changes are made in the topic template first, the modified formats can be imported into the other templates. This minimizes the number of changes required in the other templates (but there are still changes required).
Change the components templates:
- Translate the headings.
If a localized FrameMaker version should use the application, change the component templates for table of contents and index.
- Go to the TOC frame or SIX frame on the reference pages and rename the paragraph styles to match the expectations of the localized FM version. For example, for German FM, title.0TOC needs to be renamed to title0.IVZ (only uppercase suffixes need to be changed). In the index, for example, GrouptitleIX needs to be renamed to GruppentitelSIX (changing suffixes is not sufficient to localize index paragraph styles - FrameMaker
expects a fix set of names here).
- In the properties of the respective frame, rename the object itself. For example, from TOC to IVZ and from IX to SIX.
- On the reference page for the index, translate the strings for the group titles. Depending on the target language, the sort order itself may need modifications as well.
Check the topic, map and bookmap EDDs for the following and modify as needed:
- Prefixes that contain translatable text (but prolog elements usually won't be visible in the output)
- Autonumbering formats that contain translatable text
If you use see or see also index entries:
- Change the labels in the DITA-FMx Index Options dialog box.
Optionally, change the date format in the DITA-FMx Auto-Prolog Options.